Geographic Coordinates: 5 00 S, 120 00 E
Population: 242,968,342 (July 2010 est.)
Main Religion: Islam
Language: Bahasa Indonesia (official, modified form of Malay), English, Dutch, local dialects (the most widely spoken of which is Javanese)
Government Type: Republic
Head of State: President Susilo Bambang YUDHOYONO
Main Industries: petroleum and natural gas, textiles, apparel, footwear, mining, cement, chemical fertilizers, plywood, rubber, food, tourism
GDP in US Dollars (per capita): $4,000 (2009 est.)
Currency Code: Indonesian rupiah (IDR)
Life Expectancy: 69 years (men), 73 years (women) (UN)
Environment - current issues: Deforestation; Water pollution from industrial wastes, sewage; Air pollution in urban areas; Smoke and haze from forest fires
Issues facing Women and Children:
- Indonesia’s HIV/AIDS crisis threatens to become a full-blown epidemic.Malaria strikes up to 20 per cent of Indonesians.
- Approximately 28 per cent of children under the age of five are malnourished.
- More than 100 million people lack adequate sanitation, and more than 40 million people do not have access to safe drinking water sources.
- Human trafficking is a serious problem. Each year, thousands of women and children fall victim to trafficking, including being forced or lured into the commercial sex trade.
- There are nearly 3 million children in the labour force, many in dangerous occupations."
Land Mine Ban Signatory: Y
Local Media: Press: The Jakarta Post, Kompas, Pos Kota; Radio and TV: Radio Republik Indonesia (RRI), Voice of Indonesia, Televisi Republik Indonesia (TVRI), Surya Citra Televisi Indonesia (SCTV)
Interesting Fact: Indonesia is divided into three time zones. Spread across a chain of thousands of islands between Asia and Australia, Indonesia has the world's largest Muslim population. Ethnically it is highly diverse, with more than 300 local languages. The people range from rural hunter-gatherers to a modern urban elite.
Famous for: Suharto, Kalimantan "The Island of Thousand Rivers", Borobodur Temple, Bali, Komodo National Park
Official Tourism Website: http://www.my-indonesia.info/
asia! IN A SNAP
SEARCH OUR SITE